More and more businesses in Malaysia are looking for bilingual candidates with an international mindset as the job market becomes more globalised, according to the 2013 Hays Asia Salary Guide.
“A recurring theme throughout this year’s Salary Guide is the need for candidates with not only multiple language skills but those who can fit in with a foreign-owned company as the trend of multinational corporations moving their offices to Asia continues,” says Chris Mead, Regional Director of Hays in Malaysia and Singapore.
“Across all the sectors we deal with it’s common to see the need for both the local language and English. But then there are some candidates, particularly those in HR and sales who deal with China-based employers and companies, who are expected to be trilingual and also know a Chinese dialect.
“Therefore, employers are also interested in candidates that are interested in and able to adapt to different cultures as this will obviously help their businesses operate more effectively and more efficiently. There are also benefits for the candidate in that they will become more in-demand, leading to better job opportunities and career pathways.”
So, what’s your cross-cultural expertise (CCE) score?
Hays has devised a quick quiz for candidates to see if they’re meeting the cross-cultural expertise demands of today’s employers:
1. Do you speak a second language or are you learning one?
2. Have you ever worked in an environment where your mother tongue was not spoken?
3. Have you worked abroad, learned about different cultures and are able to apply what you’ve learned to a new employer?
4. Can you demonstrate your interest in and ability to adapt to a different culture?
5. Can you demonstrate that you’re flexible and able to accommodate differences of opinion at work?
6. Have you worked in an environment where pay was based on merit and performance?
You score one CCE point for every “yes”.
To find out how you fared and what it means, go to http://www.hays.com.my/general-content/HAYS_092682
Hays, the world’s leading recruiting experts in qualified, professional and skilled people.