Social media is a fast-moving and fluid world, with new sites and channels emerging all the time. But there are three key sites you need to utilise if your career is to benefit, says recruiting experts Hays in Malaysia.
"Some sites and channels are particularly helpful in your career planning, but others are not,” Chris Mead, Regional Director of Hays in Malaysia & Singapore.
“LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter are powerful career planning tools. LinkedIn is a valuable resource for anyone who takes their career seriously, while Facebook can have a huge impact on your professional life. Twitter is a powerful way to extend your network and get up-to-the-second insights from the people and companies you follow.
“Beyond these three, there could be other sites relevant to your sector, such as Google+ for IT professionals.
“Candidates need to do their research, talk to a recruiting expert, and get it right in order to look your best online,” he said.
Here is Hays' advice for using the top-3 sites for career development:
- An up-to-date profile, far-reaching network and clear interest in your industry will massively boost your appeal in a recruiter’s eyes.
- Rest assured, they will be looking – and you can help them find you with a detailed, well-written profile that includes sector-specific keywords.
- LinkedIn is a mine of information for you too. Use it to stay informed, research companies ahead of an interview and connect with important people in your sector.
- Keep an eye on your privacy settings and remember how easy it is to search. Be aware of your digital footprint and make sure any publicly available information on Facebook about you is professional.
- Facebook’s informality brings its own benefits. Like people, companies are usually a little more relaxed here. This means that you can often get a better feel for the culture and working life at the company by exploring their Facebook page.
- But don’t see this as a way to bypass the application process.
- You can easily connect and communicate with opinion formers and thought leaders on Twitter, and be part of the debate on the hot topics for your industry.
- You can also research companies in depth.
- But be sure to keep your own output professional and respectable.
Hays is located in Kuala Lumpur at Suite 4 & 5, Level 23, Menara 3, Petronas, Kuala Lumpur City Centre. Phone +60 3 2786 8600 or email email@example.com
Hays, the world’s leading recruiting experts in qualified, professional and skilled people.
- Ends -
For further information please contact Chris Mead, Regional Director of Hays in Singapore & Malaysia, on 6223 4535 or firstname.lastname@example.org