Financial Controllers, HR Business Partners and Senior Geologists are just three of the professionals sought by employers in Malaysia as candidate movement and the need to attract strong staff fuels a dynamic recruitment market, says recruiting experts Hays in Malaysia.
According to the recruiter’s latest Hays Quarterly Hotspots list of skills in demand, staff movement is creating vacancy activity as people decide to change employers.
“Vacancy activity is dominated by both the need to replace departing staff as well as new job creation,” says Chris Mead, Regional Director of Hays in Malaysia & Singapore. “The willingness of candidates to explore their options is a good sign of candidates’ confidence that they can improve their prospects by looking for a new job in today’s market.
“In response, we expect to see employers continue to attract strong professionals into the New Year.
“But they are increasingly looking for candidates with experience gained in true multinational organisations. Genuine global or regional exposure is valued very highly.
“Employers prefer such candidates over those with solely Malaysian business experience as they believe they possess far better communication skills, are more commercially minded and can create a stronger success-based environment.”
Chris notes that for the most part, employers prefer to recruit on a permanent basis. “Malaysia’s economy remains strong and companies continue to grow, which is keeping the recruitment market active and the need for permanent hires strong.”
A selection of skills in demand in Malaysia from the latest Hays Quarterly Hotspots follows:
- Financial Controllers – We are seeing high demand from the FMCG industry for Financial Controllers with full end-to-end manufacturing experience within multinational organisations. Demand also exists for Heads of Finance or Financial Controllers with exposure to the online industry.
- Senior Managers – Financial shared service centres are looking for Senior Managers. This is because Senior Managers often leave the shared service centre environment in order to gain better opportunities in core finance.
- Talent Managers - Talent Managers are sought by companies that want to implement strategic attraction and retention methods.
- HR Business Partners - Candidates with at least 8 to 10 years of experience and industry knowledge in FMCG or retail are in high demand.
- IT Support Specialists – There is a tremendous amount of business expansion taking place in the global IT shared service industry. As a result, IT Support Specialists are in high demand, particularly those with application development experience.
- Software Developers/Engineers/Testers – Such candidates are sought by IT consultancies and development centres. In most demand are candidates with JAVA/J2EE, ASP.Net, VB.Net, Cognos, SharePoint and Mobile Application (Android / iOS / Mobile Web).
- Senior Geophysicists (Development) – Senior Geophysicists are sought by companies that are looking to maximise the value of existing assets. There is a shortage of experienced local candidates in this area, which is making the market competitive and increasing the need to look towards regional expatriates.
- Senior Geologists (Exploration) – These candidates are in high demand in response to the large number of companies currently undertaking exploration activities. Yet a limited number of experienced candidates are available.
- Drillers and Senior Drillers – An increased number of rigs in the region has led to high demand for qualified Drillers and Senior Drillers. This candidate pool is highly mobile, with many Drillers choosing to work further afield in more challenging environments to benefit from higher salaries.
- National Sales Managers – We are seeing an increasing need to recruit leaders for large sales teams in Malaysia.
- Brand Managers – Companies are always looking for Brand Managers to lead marketing for growing business units.
- Digital Marketing Managers - The need for Digital Marketing Managers is increasing as digital marketing becomes an important priority for all companies.
For the full list of skills in demand, please view our Hays Quarterly Hotspots.
Hays, the world’s leading recruiting experts in qualified, professional and skilled people.