Want to make sure you can always find a job? Then know what makes you attractive to employers and continuously enhance your employability, says recruiting experts Hays.
Having the right mindset and remaining open to acquiring new skills in the rapidly changing world of work are also important, says the recruiter.
“In today’s jobs market employees can no longer count on their manager or company to guarantee their job for them,” says Christine Wright, Operations Director of Hays in Asia.
“Having the right attitude and enthusiasm for your job is just one step in the process. There are several other steps you can take to ensure you can always find a job.”
According to Hays, these include:
1. Maintain the right attitude – Positive actions and words can help build confidence that you are doing what you can to ensure that you will always be working.
2. Identify macro trends – Keep on top of industry trends so you can make informed decisions about your training and development. A macro trend is one that is widespread and will continue for a long time. For example, the aging of populations in developed countries. Having the right skills at the right time ensures that you will be employable and in demand.
3. Keep your resume up to date – It doesn't matter how qualified you are, or how much experience you have - if your resume is poorly presented or badly written, you're going to have trouble getting the job you want - or even an interview. So keep it up to date and include examples of how you have contributed to your employer's workplace.
4. Create a 30 second introduction – Whether you are looking for a new position now or sometime in the future, your 30-second introduction is an important tool as creates the first impression. Information should include your name, the type of position you seek specifically, your skills and strengths and background or accomplishments.
5. Network regularly – Professional networking is very important, both in person and through social media. We recommend creating and maintaining a LinkedIn profile and being active in endorsing skills and asking others to endorse your skills or provide recommendations. Attending company events and gatherings is equally important. And make sure you connect with a reputable recruiter who can help your career advance.
6. Develop your skills – If your company offers opportunities for professional development classes take advantage of as many as you can. This way, your technical skills will be at the highest level. You could also seek out an opportunity outside of work, maybe through a course, a seminar or workshop, or a volunteer opportunity, in order to learn something that enhances your existing skills or that builds new ones.